While detox alone is not enough to sustain long-term recovery from addiction, it is an essential part of the process. Without proper medical care during detoxification, individuals may experience extreme discomfort or side effects due to the sudden cessation of substance use. Detox programs provide comprehensive medical support throughout this critical stage in order to ensure safety and comfort while laying a foundation for successful ongoing recovery.
Venture Academy offers effective care and support in Canada for teens at our drug treatment centre. To learn more about your options and for more information about the treatment programs at Venture Academy, call 866.762.2211 or contact us onlinetoday.
What Is Drug Detox?
Drug detox is a type of medical treatment that helps individuals safely and comfortably withdraw from drugs, such as benzos or opioids. Drugs that are known to have unpleasant and potentially dangerous withdrawal symptoms include:
- Opiates and opioids
Detox can be inpatient (residential) or outpatient and usually involves medications, counselling, nutrition support, and other services to help individuals manage their withdrawal symptoms. During the detox process, individuals are monitored closely by medical professionals to ensure safety and comfort. After successful completion, many people enter a long-term recovery program to continue working toward sobriety.
Detox is an important first step in helping an individual overcome addiction and begin living a life free from substance abuse. Detox programs provide a safe, controlled environment for individuals to detoxify and address their addiction issues to begin recovery. Detox can help individuals reduce or eliminate cravings, manage withdrawal symptoms, and better understand their relationship with substance use. Teens and young adults entering programs at Venture Academy should have successfully completed a detox program or be well into the process independently before arrival.
What to Expect When Detoxing from Drugs
Drug detox is the first step in recovery from substance abuse or addiction. It helps clear toxins from the body, stabilize physical health, and create a foundation for sobriety. But drug detox can pose certain risks, so it’s important to know what to expect during this process.
Some of the ordinary experiences people may have during drug detox include:
- Withdrawal symptoms – Depending on the type of drug being used, withdrawal symptoms will vary greatly and range in severity. Common symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, headaches, sweating, tremors, muscle pain, and sleep disturbances.
- Anxiety – As the body adjusts to functioning without drugs or alcohol, many individuals experience anxiety as they face new challenges.
- Cravings – Many individuals experience powerful cravings for their drug of choice during detox, and these cravings are often intense and long-lasting.
- Mental health concerns – Drug addiction can have a significant effect on mental health, so it’s not uncommon to experience feelings of depression or anxiety during the detox process.
- Medical emergencies – In some cases, medical emergencies such as seizures or other complications may occur during detox; this is why it’s important to seek professional help if you’re planning on going through with detox.
- Nutritional support – As the body clears toxins from drugs, proper nutrition should be a priority throughout the detox process to nourish the body and accelerate healing.
- Stress management – During drug detox, it’s essential for individuals to develop healthy coping mechanisms to help them manage stress and identify triggers that could lead to relapse.
Drug detox can be a daunting process, but with the right support system and professional guidance, individuals can progress toward long-term sobriety. Understanding what to expect during the detox process is an important part of making a successful recovery from substance abuse or addiction.
What to Expect in Drug Treatment at Venture Academy
Our program is tailored to support adolescents, teens, young adults, and their families through the complex challenges of drug and substance abuse. What sets Venture Academy apart is our blend of individualised care, experiential learning, cognitive-behavioural therapy, and family involvement.
The journey begins with a comprehensive assessment of the individual’s health, drug use history, and related issues such as mental health. This evaluation is crucial in determining the appropriate level of care and creating a personalised treatment plan that’s as unique as the individual themselves.
Venture Academy’s approach to therapy is multifaceted. Individual sessions with a personal counsellor provide a safe space to explore the root causes of addiction, while group therapy encourages peer support and an understanding of one’s role within a community of recovery.
Addiction affects the entire family, and our program recognises the need for familial support and healing. Regular family therapy sessions and education on enabling behaviours and communication techniques are essential aspects of treatment.
Contact Venture Academy for Effective Adolescent and Teen Drug Addiction Treatment Today
Venture Academy is committed to giving teens in Canada the resources they need for a successful recovery from drug abuse and addiction. We offer comprehensive treatment programs tailored to each individual’s needs, providing personalised care and support during this difficult time. Our team of experienced specialists will work with your child every step of the way, creating a safe and comfortable environment to help them through the detox process. For more information or to learn how we could help, call us at 866.762.2211 or fill out our online contact form today.