It’s normal for teenagers to push boundaries and test limits. It’s part of their job to separate from their parents and become their own person. But sometimes, a teen’s behaviour goes beyond what might be considered typical teenage angst.
Fortunately, there is help available. Venture Academy is a teen behavioural treatment centre with multiple locations in Canada. We specialise in behavioural and addiction treatment, and we can help your teen get back on track and turn their life around. Contact us at 866.762.2211 today to learn more about our treatment programs.
Is It Just A Phase?
It can be hard to tell whether your teen’s behaviour is just a phase or if they need professional help. However, there are some warning signs that indicate your child may need more than just parental guidance. If you’re wondering whether your teen’s bad behaviour is just a phase or something more serious, here are some things to look for:
- Skipping school more often than usual
- Falling behind in their studies
- Getting into physical altercations
- Experimenting with drugs and alcohol
- Disrespectful or defiant behaviour at home
- Hanging out with a new crowd (one that you don’t approve of)
- A sudden change in mood or personality
If you’ve noticed any of these warning signs in your child, it may be time to seek professional help. A behavioural treatment centre can help without judgment and benefit the entire family.
How To Help Your Troubled Teen
Navigating parenthood and young adulthood are difficult. If you’re not sure how to help your troubled teen, there are a few things you can do:
Talk to Them
Try to have an open and honest conversation with your child about their behaviour and why it concerns you. Listen to what they have to say without judgement and try to see things from their perspective. Good communication is vital to parent-child relationships; if you need help with your communication skills, perhaps consider family counselling.
Encourage Positive Activities and Hobbies
One way to help your teen stay on the right track is by encouraging them to participate in positive activities and hobbies that they enjoy. Doing things that make them happy will help them stay motivated and focused on the things that matter most in their life. Positive activities might include school sports or other programs, getting a job, or getting involved in the community. Hobbies that make great outlets for internalised emotions generally involve working with the hands or creating art.
Get Professional Help
As mentioned above, professional help may be necessary if you feel like you’re not equipped to deal with the situation on your own. Venture Academy is a great option for parents of troubled teens who are looking for expert guidance and support.
Sometimes parents don’t have all the answers, and sometimes all options are exhausted before a resolution is achieved. If your teen’s behaviour is so severe that you feel unsafe or have no idea what else you could possibly do for them, it may be time to consider residential behavioural treatment.
Benefits Of Residential Behavioural Treatment For Teens
Your teen needing residential behavioural treatment is not a sign of parental failure. It is actually excellent parenting to recognise a problem that is beyond the scope of your abilities and seek professional help to save your child. There are many benefits of residential behavioural treatment for troubled teens, including:
- 24/7 support—When your child is enrolled in a residential treatment program, they will have access to 24/7 support from trained professionals. This means that someone will always be there to help them through whatever challenges they’re facing.
- A structured environment—A residential treatment program will provide your child with a structured environment where they can feel safe and supported. This can be incredibly beneficial for teens who are struggling to cope with their current situation.
- Individualised care—One of the great things about residential treatment programs is that they offer individualised care. This means that your child will receive care that is specifically tailored to their needs, which will include therapy and counselling.
In addition to helping troubled teens get back on track, behavioural treatment centres also provide invaluable resources and support to parents and whole families. All it takes is one phone call, and that phone call could save your troubled teen. Reach out today.
A Phone Call to Venture Academy Could Save Your Troubled Teen
If your teen is struggling with behavioural issues, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. A call to Venture Academy could save your child’s life. We can provide the expert guidance and support that you and your family need during this difficult time. Contact us today at 866.762.2211, or fill out our online form and allow us to get back to you.