Does your teen find it difficult to stay still for long periods of time? You may observe this behaviour in school, church, or even just at the dinner table. If they are unable to stay still, it can make coursework nearly an impossible task. If this sounds like your teen, it may be a sign that they may struggle with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD.
Many teens struggle with this disorder, but ADHD treatment options can make all the difference for their success. At Venture Academy, our trained staff is very experienced with teen ADHD and can help your teen get the tools they need to thrive with our ADHD treatment options.
Signs of ADHD in Teens
While there are different variants of ADHD, there are some signs that may help you to assess if their condition may be causing problems in school. Some of the well-known signs of ADHD in teens include:
- Talks too much – Talking too much could mean that teens miss important details of school assignments or conversational markers that could help guide them in healthful decision-making.
- Cannot concentrate – Difficulty with concentrating on reading material or in a lecture environment can mean that teens may struggle with completing or remembering to turn in schoolwork.
- Hyperactivity – This is one of the signs of ADHD in teens that is most recognizable. Hyperactivity makes it difficult to sit still in a classroom for long periods of time. this can include excessive fidgeting or even uncontrolled movements.
- Impatience – Difficulty with waiting their turn can include in a physical queue or in a conversation.
- Disorganisation – Distraction or disorganisation can make research, studying, or focusing on schoolwork a task that is insurmountable for your teen. This can also affect your teen’s ability to drive safely, leading to serious repercussions in your community.
- Risk-taking behaviours – Impulsive actions can affect decision-making in social situations. They can lead to dangerous or risky behaviours such as drinking and driving, taking drugs, or engaging in sexual activities. Some of these delinquent activities can affect the family or community as they come with steep legal consequences.
Impulsivity is a symptom that causes great risk for your teen. You can stay a step ahead of the consequences of this type of behaviour by seeking the right treatment.
If you recognise some of the above signs of ADHD in your teen, it may be time to seek the right help for your teen. Venture Academy offers a healing environment that can help your teen learn the skills they need to cope with ADHD symptoms.
Diagnosing ADHD can be difficult because no one test can guarantee your teen demonstrates the signs of ADHD. However, a clinician will run several types of tests and go through a checklist to rule out similar disorders. To debunk some myths, research does not suggest that ADHD is affected by sugar, television or technology use, or social factors like poverty.
Help Your Teen Succeed with Help from Venture Academy
It can be very frustrating to watch your teen encounter issues with concentration, but it is possible to find them the treatment they need to succeed. Venture Academy’s programs will offer your teen the learning tools that will help them to find more success in school.
With Venture Academy’s 30-day assessment, intervention, and behaviour treatment programs, we can support your teens in finding positive ways to cope with the stress of living with ADHD. Contact us at 855.281.5813 or check out our interactive child behaviour test. Take the first step to help your teen succeed by reaching out to Venture Academy today.