It seems impossible to imagine that your child is abusing drugs. However, many people find themselves in just this situation. Recent studies show that up to 60% of teens have used alcohol by their senior year, and almost 40% have used marijuana. Being a teenager can be a confusing time. So many experiences challenge teens while going through the natural hormonal changes that lead to emotional difficulties. When teens face emotional challenges, it’s often best for them to reach out for help.
At Venture Academy, our team proudly provides substance abuse treatment for teens who might need some support and encouragement to get back on the right track. If a teen in your life might benefit from comprehensive care for a substance use disorder, our team is ready to help. Contact Venture Academy today either online or by calling 866.762.2211 to speak with a member of our knowledgeable and compassionate staff about substance abuse treatment for teens.
Is Your Teen at Risk for Substance Abuse?
Without guidance, teenagers can turn to drug use to help them through these turbulent times. Life can be busy, and even with emotional support and guidance from family, peer pressure can cause some teens can slip through the cracks and begin using drugs. The fact is, with drug abuse everywhere and peer pressure, stress, and isolation, at an all-time high, many teens can be at risk four using drugs to cope. If you suspect your teen may be engaging in drug use, it’s essential to prepare yourself to address the situation head-on. Teens may be very close to adulthood, but they are not ready to tackle an issue like drug addiction on their own.
A few tips to keep in mind include:
- Ask questions directly.
- Don’t attack. Give your teen the chance to explain the situation so they will not become defensive and shut you out.
- Reset clear boundaries or introduce new rules.
- If they drive, inform them you restrict access to their vehicle until they are in recovery. The leading cause of death in teenagers is vehicular accidents, and in many of these cases, drug and alcohol use is to blame.
What are the Signs of Substance Use Disorder in Teens?
As a concerned parent or guardian of a teenager, it is vital to be aware of the signs of drug abuse and know the best way to address it.
Some signs your child may be using substances include:
- Changes in appetite such as eating more or eating much less
- A sudden change in your teen’s friend group, especially if they’re isolating themselves from the people they care about
- School issues, such as poor grades or misbehaviour
- Drastic changes in physical appearance ss with personal hygiene, visible shaking or tremors
- Avoiding communication with family and friends
- Disappearing for long periods
- Stealing money
Since teenagehood is such a confusing time, you may wonder if they are using drugs or just growing up. Many times it can be not easy to discern right away. Some of the behaviours typical of drug abuse are also seen in the ordinary course of teenage life as a person finds themselves and breaks away from childhood. Despite this, teenagers’ brains are still growing, and they can’t choose to use drugs recreationally.
Begin Recovery for Substance Abuse in Teens at Venture Academy
Although your teen will encounter many difficult lessons and adult situations along the way, drug use should not be one of them. Abusing drugs should never be accepted or considered normal behaviour, no matter how the media can make it appear to your children. If you believe your teen is at risk for drug dependence or addiction, contact Venture Academy today at 866.762.2211 or online to learn more about our treatment programs for teen substance abuse issues.