Teen boot camps are heading towards extinction after what has been described as a treatment experiment gone wrong.
Corrections expert Dr. Edward Latessa has studied the issue extensively and says most boot camp operators have either gone out of business or modified their programs to emphasize treatment and rehabilitation.
Latessa, a juvenile justice expert at the University of Cincinnati, says teen boot camps fail because they focus on things like discipline, physical conditioning, and bonding with other offenders rather than on problem behaviour and attitudes that got teens in trouble in the first place.
“What are they teaching you in boot camp? Drills, ceremony, discipline, how to say yes sir, no sir. Well, the problem is that’s not related to delinquent behaviour. Getting you in good shape just means you’ll be able to kick someone’s ass quicker.”
Latessa says the problem with teen boot camps wasn’t that they were all poorly run – because some were run well – but that they were completely ineffective at helping youth develop coping skills they could use back in the real world.
Latessa says good residential treatment programs for troubled teens focus on the behaviours and attitudes related to delinquent or problem behaviour and help youth learn and practice skills they can use with their family and peers back home. Troubled teens learn applicable life skills like how to get out of risky situations, how to stay away from negative peers, and how to be assertive with friends who may lead them astray.
“If teens practice these skills then they have the ability to deal with situations when they get into them,“ he said. “Good programs teach those things and they do it in a way that it is modeled, practiced, and reinforced.”
- Family meals provide calm during stormy teen years
- Host Families Key to Venture Academy’s Success
- Legal But Lethal – Cough Medicine Abuse in Teens
- Help for Troubled Teens Just a Phone Call Away
- Education Key to Preventing Teen Inhalant Abuse
- Challenging the Challenged – ADHD in Teens
- How Troubled is Your Troubled Teen? Take the Test and Find Out
- Troubled Teen Director to Oversee Venture Academy’s Ontario Campus
- Troubled Teens Need Help Parents Can’t Provide
- Schools’ Overzealous In Use of Discipline to “Treat” Troubled Teens
- Family Service Specialist Joins Team at Venture Academy for Troubled Teens
- Boot Camps for Teens – Are they right for your teen?
- Sleep Takes Backseat to Teen Media Use, Study Finds
- Teen relationships affected by screen time
- Teen Drinking Never Safe
- Sexting Teens Put Their Futures At Risk
- Teen Boot Camps Soon to be Extinct
- Future looks bright for troubled teen
- Cyberbullying Teens Harass the Helpless
- Treating Troubled Teens: When holding back means sending your teen to residential treatment
- Defiant teen gets life back on track with help from Venture Academy
- Top 5 Reasons to Say “Yes” to Venture Academy For Troubled Teens and “No” to Boot Camp
- Spying on Your Teen in the Text Generation
- Rebellious teen and her mom reconnect with help from Venture Academy
- Residential Treatment Program for Troubled Teens Expands Into Ontario