As a parent of a teen, you may be concerned about them staying on the right track and not getting involved in drugs or alcohol. So, how can you help your child? School programs and education geared toward teens can help you support your child as they navigate their teen years. However, choosing the right type of after-school program is crucial. Some well-meaning programs for drug and alcohol prevention, academics, and socialization have proven to be less than successful for most young people.
If you have been searching for “teen after-school programs near me” in Canada, you can rely on Venture Academy. We realize that teens need a specialised approach to preventing drug and alcohol misuse, and we tailor our programs to suit their needs. Call us today at 866.762.2211 to learn more about how we can help keep your teen focused on a bright future with the help of our after-school programs.
Why Enroll Your Teen in After School Programs?
When a child exhibits rebellious, angry, or destructive behaviour, parents often feel lost and do not know what to do. You may struggle with how to handle the situation, and you may not realize that choosing the right after-school program can be the solution.
How can an after-school program help keep your teen on the right path? After-school programs for teens:
- Are a great way to help your child transition from school to home. They can learn healthy habits, such as developing an afternoon routine of having a healthy snack and completing homework.
- Offer supervised activities and opportunities for teens to develop new skills and interests.
- Can keep teens out of trouble by providing them with guidance and supervision. In Canada, programs focusing on social influences to misuse drugs and alcohol and how to deal with peer pressure have been shown to reduce substance misuse for up to 15 years afterward, according to the National Crime Prevention Centre.
- Can help your teen succeed in school by learning good study habits and receiving tutoring as needed.
Not all after-school programs are created equal, so it is important to find one that meets your child’s needs.
How to Find the Right After-School Program for Your Child
If you are looking for after-school programs for troubled teens, you probably already have an idea of which issues you would like to address. This can guide you toward the most applicable program:
- If your child is struggling with drugs or alcohol, you will want to look for a program specialising in substance misuse.
- If their grades are slipping, you may want to find a program focusing on academics and learning disabilities.
- If they have difficulty making friends or engaging with their peers, you may wish to focus on programs that teach social skills.
It is important to consider these factors before making a decision about which after-school program is right for your family.
It is helpful to talk to other parents who have enrolled their children in these programs and ask about their experiences. Also, you should inquire about the qualifications of the staff at an after-school program because you will want someone who understands the needs of today’s teens and how to help them succeed in modern life.
Get Support from Teen After School Programs at Venture Academy
After-school programs for troubled teens offer a variety of benefits for parents and children alike. The most important thing to remember is to choose a program tailored to your child’s needs. Venture Academy offers high-quality after-school programs and education for young people in Canada: at our Red Deer, Alberta and Barrie, Ontario locations. Reach out to us today at 866.762.2211 to discuss which of our locations and after-school programs would be the right fit for your teen. You can also fill out our online contact form.