Parenting a teenager is never easy. Daily stress, social pressures, school, and hormonal changes cause teens to act differently every day. It can be especially hard for those struggling with mood disorders or substance abuse to show support and get them the treatment they need. Here are some great ways to support your resistant teen and get them the treatment they need.
If your teen is struggling with mental health or substance abuse, our teen treatment centre can help. At Venture Academy, we provide clients ages 18-25 with a multidisciplinary approach to mental health and substance use disorders. With three clinics, we make treatment accessible, even for treatment-resistant teens. Reach us now at 866.762.2211 to learn how we can help you and your teen thrive.
Helping a Resistant Teen to Get The Treatment They Need
Whether your teen is struggling with mental health, substance abuse, or process addictions like video games and social media, know you are not alone. Countless teens struggle daily with their mental health. A lack of resources, education, and support networks can make it hard for teens to ask for help. This can lead to resistance when parents suggest treatment. Here are some ways to help your resistant teen get the treatment they need for mental health or substance abuse:
- Talk to your teen about your own struggles – Having honest conversations about your own mental health, stress levels, and substance use history can help your teen relate and not just see you as a parent.
- Stay curious – When talking to your teen about their experience, avoid judgement and stay curious. This can help them open up and become less resistant.
- Make a deal – In applied behavioural analysis, a technique used with many adolescents, the teen is awarded for good behaviour. Try making a deal with your teen if they begin treatment.
- Assess your own role in your teen’s behaviour and health – Get honest with your teen about your role in their mental health and substance use. Your teen may be more willing to accept help when you admit your own faults.
- Give your teen a change – If your teen doesn’t need crisis intervention, take a few weeks to implement changes at home and at school to develop trust with your teen. However, crisis intervention is the safest option if they need treatment today.
Treating resistant teens isn’t always easy. Anyone struggling with mental health or substance abuse may deny the need for treatment. Stigmas, a lack of education, and a lack of mental health support throughout adolescence can make it hard for teens to realize that mental health and substance use treatment is a normal, healthy approach to overall wellness. Before confronting your teen, talk with a qualified therapist, social worker, or guidance counsellor for extra support.
Help Your Resistant Teen with Treatment at Venture Academy
Beginning treatment for mental health or substance abuse is never easy, especially for teens. If your teen is struggling and resistant to treatment, the team at Venture Academy is here to help. With a range of treatment programs, including crisis intervention, Venture Academy helps young adults ages 10-25 struggling with mental health and substance abuse. Our multidisciplinary approach provides individualized care that fits each teen’s needs as they change and grow. With short-term and long-term care options, the team at Venture Academy provides a range of services, including post-recovery check-ins and assessments, after someone completes our programs.
We know that a continuum of care can help young adults become their best selves in later adulthood. Our 3 clinics are here to provide your family with immediate support for your resistant teen.
Don’t worry. If your teen is resisting treatment, we can help. Call Venture Academy now at 866.762.2211 to learn more about our programs and get started.