If your teen is struggling from anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, or some other type of mental health issue, then you can help them manage these issues by providing a healthier environment and encouraging them to lead a healthier lifestyle. There are several ways that you can teach your teenager how to improve mental health.
Below are some recommendations on what you can do to improve your teenager’s mental health. A mental health treatment center can help your teenager lead a healthier and happier life.
1. Provide a Mood-Friendly Diet
Certain foods stimulate the brain and boost your teenager’s mood, such as:
- Dark chocolate reduces stress hormones thanks to the anti-oxidants
- Carbs promote serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that produces good feelings
- Fish contains omega-3s which produce brain chemicals linked with good moods
- Coconut can reduce blood pressure, slow the heart rate, and enhance alertness without creating anxiety or stress
- Tea promotes alertness, attention, and focus
2. Get to Bed Earlier
Teenagers are not known for going to bed early and getting a good night’s sleep. However, numerous studies have shown that a good night’s rest gives you energy, helps you focus, and reduces anxiety and stress. The recommended sleep each night is seven to eight hours.
3. Reduce or Eliminate Alcohol
Alcohol is a leading contributing factor to anxiety, depression, and bipolar or ADHD symptoms triggers. If your teenager is taking medication for their mental disorder, then they need to stay away from alcohol altogether. If your child is suffering from alcohol abuse, then there is help available at a mental health treatment center.
Exercise is a crucial element in mental health. There are numerous benefits of exercise, such as enhancing your mood, alleviating depression, reducing stress, boosting energy, and improving your overall health. One way you can encourage your teenager to exercise is to start a gym membership and go with them to the gym.
5. Visit a Mental Health Treatment Center
One of the best ways you can promote your teen’s mental health is to partner with a mental health professional to find solutions for both mental disorders and substance abuse. By visiting a mental health treatment center, you can work with a therapist who shows your child how to improve mental health.
Some of the services available to you include:
- 30-day assessment and intervention
- Behavioural treatment
- Drug and alcohol treatment
- School programs and education
- Residential treatment
- Boot camp for troubled teens
Are You Ready to Learn How to Improve Mental Health?
If you want to know more about how to improve mental health for your child, then contact Venture Academy. We offer a comprehensive treatment plan for your child. Call us today at 866.762.2211, to discuss your child’s condition and explore your options. We are here to help your teen get on the road to recovery.