The opioid epidemic has had far-reaching consequences that have affected the lives of many people. Unfortunately, the wide reach of this addiction may mean that your teen could be struggling with opioid abuse. Most individuals are not equipped to handle the high level of care that detoxing from opioids may require. Therefore, your teen may benefit from the help of trained professionals in order to return to an opioid-free life. The good news is that Venture Academy offers comprehensive substance abuse treatment programs for young people struggling with addiction.
At Venture Academy, your teen can get the help they need, and you can get the peace of mind that comes from guiding your child to a more healthful way of life. Our substance abuse treatment programs can help your teen get back on the right track. Connect to our team today by calling 866.762.2211 or filling out our online form.
Teens and Opioids
Teens who use opioids are at risk for many health problems. Because teens are still developing, prescription drug use or illegal opioid abuse could affect their brain, coping mechanisms, or physical wellness for the rest of their lives. But it is not just health problems you should be concerned about, as teens and opioids bring financial and legal risks as well. However, with underaged individuals, that risk is not only on the shoulders of your teen. You might be held responsible should anything serious occur while your teen is using opioids.
Opioids and Addiction
Opioid addiction can happen to anyone at any time. This is because opioid use may start as a necessary medication for injuries, chronic pain, or even treat certain types of psychological or behavioural disorders. Prescription drug abuse is typically how individuals begin to use opioids. Some common opioids include:
These drugs are extremely powerful addictive substances that can engage someone in the cycle of addiction very quickly. The cycle of addiction includes several notably important stages that can be accelerated with the use of opioids. These stages include:
- Gateway – The first use is the “gateway” to continued use. This initial period can lead to several additional stages with drugs like heroin or Norco. This is because using these drugs one time can bring on addiction.
- Abuse – When people use opioids more than doctors recommend, they are engaged in abuse.
- Tolerance – Typically, drug use leads to more amplified use. This is because the body adjusts to certain amounts of a drug. This means that more is needed to attempt to attain the original effects.
- Dependence – When someone becomes dependent on a drug, it can be difficult and sometimes dangerous to stop using the drug due to the symptoms of withdrawal. These symptoms can be debilitating and painful and can include anything from nausea to hallucinations. This is a crucial reason to seek out help for your teen if they are using opioids.
- Addiction – Addiction is when use is maintained over time, and all of the above symptoms are present. This cycle renews with continued use. To extricate from this cycle, proper detox, therapy, and skill support are necessary. This can be especially true and vital for teens.
- Relapse – Relapse is a common occurrence for those who attempt to stop using a drug without proper support. While this can also happen after a program, it is more likely that your teen can stay opioid-free after attending a care program.
Prescription drug abuse or illegal opioid use can cause a frightening cycle that may make your teen feel deeply helpless. But, Venture Academy can help them work through the underlying need for a drug. Teens and opioid use may require the support of experts, such as our team at Venture Academy.
Find Help for Your Teen’s Opioid Abuse at Venture Academy
At Venture Academy, we offer comprehensive programs that can help your teen through the necessary opioid detox program and ongoing care and coping skills. Once they have the tools they need, they will be empowered to live an opioid-free life.
Our programs can help your teen address the causes of their addiction so that they can better understand how the cycle of addiction may be affecting their everyday life. Reach out to us today by completing our online form or calling 866.762.2211 to learn more about our 30-day assessment and intervention program and behaviour treatment. When your teen is free from addiction, it can improve the equilibrium of your entire way of life.