The teen years present many challenges that can be either wonderfully life-affirming or destructive to the formation of a teen’s future self. This can mean that productively guiding teens through this time of growth can make all the difference to their future success. Mental health treatment is one of the ways that you can support your teen if they are struggling with issues of self-esteem. Improving self-esteem has been shown to provide many health benefits to both physical health and emotional well-being.
At Venture Academy, our team can help build teen self-esteem with our mental health treatment programs tailored to your teen’s needs. Learn more about how our mental health treatment can help your teen by calling 866.762.2211 or completing our online form today.
The importance of improving self-esteem for teens may not seem evident at first. However, if certain behaviours are left uncorrected over time, teens may not learn the coping tools they need. This can lead to serious problems with addiction later in life. When the cycle of addiction starts, it is difficult to stop. Some reasons may be affecting your teen’s expressions of good self-esteem, such as:
- Teens experience new ways of expressing themselves outside the home. This can mean that they are affected by actions at school, in the workplace, or even at a friend’s home. New methods of expression can be helpful until they negatively affect personal well-being.
- Teens go through vast hormone changes that can affect their bodies and emotions in ways that are unexpected.
- Many symptoms of mental illness may not become apparent until the teen years. When this happens, it can be extremely destabilizing.
- School pressure can affect a teen’s belief in their ability to do well as they compare themselves to peers.
- Teens may begin more complex relationships with a new depth of emotion.
- Teens are always working toward autonomy. If they feel overly attached or too detached from the home, this can seriously affect their self-image.
There are so many reasons that teens may feel frustrated or overwhelmed by life changes. This is why it is crucial to get them the help they need when they show signs of needing it.
Improving Teen Self-Esteem
Some of the ways of improving self-esteem are simple behaviours that you can easily add to your daily family life. To improve teen self-esteem, some activities and methods can help, such as:
- Leave social media – Social media leads to personal comparisons that have been proven to affect the self-esteem of all individuals. However, the harm that this comparison and social bullying can do can affect a young person for the rest of their life.
- Get physical – Some physical activity every day can help to improve both body and mind. Physical activity is an opportunity to commune with the self and check in with the body.
- Meditate – Meditation can help promote feelings of kindness toward the self that help support robust spiritual well-being.
- Cultivate a sense of self-compassion – Cultivating self-compassion is a skill that can help an individual truly understand the stakes of life decisions. This can help reduce anxiety, depression, and other mental health concerns.
- Enjoy hobbies – By spending time on skills and hobbies that provide practical knowledge or personal fulfillment, a teen can learn to feel good about their contribution to society and their abilities. This can include activities that give back to the community.
- Encourage self-reliance – When a teen feels like they can accomplish a task on their own, it can be extremely fulfilling and help to support self-esteem.
Teens have difficult years ahead. But, they can better face those years with strength if they are given the right tools for success. Suppose your teen is struggling with low self-esteem that is worsening symptoms of depression or anxiety. In that case, Venture Academy can help them learn to feel more confident in their skills and abilities to handle life’s stressors.
Improve Your Teen’s Self-Esteem Today with Venture Academy
If you believe your teen is struggling with self-esteem issues, it may be time to seek treatment. This can help to improve their overall health and well-being. Reach out to us today by filling out our online form or calling 866.762.2211 to learn more about our 30-day assessment and intervention program and behaviour treatment. With Venture Academy, your teen can receive the very best care to help get them back on track for their future.