The teen years are a challenging time with all of the physical and psychological changes that occur. Unfortunately, for many teens, this turbulent phase in their lives causes them to make poor decisions and act out against authority figures at school and at home. When families reach the point where they have no idea how to help the teen in their lives that they care so much about, one option is a military school for teens.
While military school for troubled teens is one option, it is not right for every teenager. At Venture Academy, we provide an alternative to military school for teens that has helped many teens turn their lives around and get back on the right track. Learn more about our programs and services for teens at Venture Academy by calling us at 866.762.2211 or completing our online contact form. However, it is worth exploring the reasons that some teens might benefit from a military school experience.
Benefits of Military School for Teens
Many military schools have a track record of helping teens find self-confidence and enhance their self-esteem. There are many other benefits for teens in military school, as well.
Some additional benefits of military school for teens include:
- Discipline — Although discipline is an essential aspect of any military school, the reason behind it is to foster self-discipline in teens. This also helps teens develop a better sense of right and wrong and enhances their decision-making.
- Teamwork — Teens often get into trouble because they don’t feel they’re a part of anything, and no one cares about them. In a military school, teens become part of a team, which shows them the importance of participating in something bigger than themselves.
- A possible career — Many teens thrive in a military environment and enjoy the lifestyle at military school. This may lead them to pursue a career in the military, which includes many benefits for them, including traveling the world and pushing themselves to achieve lofty goals.
- Fewer distractions — The highly structured environment of a military school helps teens to avoid diversions and focus on their academics. Many teens find that a fully-packed schedule allows them to succeed far beyond what they thought they could.
- Friendships — The camaraderie among students in a military school often becomes a support system that lasts for years. This also applies to mentors and students, as faculty members encourage and keep in touch long after the students have graduated.
Additionally, a military school also gives teens the chance to step away from people or places influencing them negatively. A change of scenery boosts the chances of a teen rediscovering their way in life.
Cons of a Military School for Teens
While there are many benefits of a military school for teens, there are also downsides as well.
Some of the drawbacks of military schools for teens include:
- Long periods of time away from family
- Symptoms of mental health disorders might get worse
- Stressful schedule
- Students have little personal time
You know your teen best as a parent, so it is vital to consider all options to help your child be healthy and happy.
Explore Alternative Options at Venture Academy
If a military school might not be the right choice for your teen, reach out to our team at Venture Academy online or at 866.762.2211. We have a range of alternative options such as thirty-day assessment and intervention, behvioural treatment, and drug and alcohol treatment, among others, that can give your teen the support they need to feel like themselves again. Make today the day you help your teen get back on track by contacting our team at Venture Academy.