One-on-one therapy is just one of the many ways Venture Academy can help with your troubled teen. Typically, these sessions are a part of a behavioural or drug and alcohol treatment program. Sessions usually last forty-five minutes to an hour and are a part of an individualized treatment plan. There are unique challenges to one-on-one therapy because teens often have difficulty trusting an adult that they don’t know. However, the benefits of individual therapy outweigh the challenges. Contact our Venture Academy team by calling 866.762.2211 or completing our online form to learn more about our individual therapy program.
Benefits of One-on-One Therapy
If a teen has been admitted to a treatment program involuntarily, they may be especially reluctant to speak about their problems with an adult that they don’t know. This makes it vital that the program is staffed with highly experienced professionals. Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals carefully evaluates and develops a personalized plan of behavioural treatment. The approach that works for an adult may not work for a teenager. However, there are still benefits of one-on-one therapy for teens, such as:
- Understanding the reason behind the issue – The teenage years are formative years for development. However, that doesn’t mean that your teen always knows why they’re doing what they’re doing.
- Making positive lifestyle changes – In the heat of the moment, your teen may not understand what is going on. However, treatment professionals provide ongoing support and tools to cope with any situation.
- Developing positive thought patterns – Counselling sessions can help your teen recognize and change negative thought patterns to thoughts conducive to overall health and a well-balanced life.
- Improving communication skills – Communication skills are vital for all aspects of life. This will help family life and help your teen’s relationships in the future.
- Offer an atmosphere of understanding – Having a person outside of the family environment to speak with may be the key to turning issues around and making positive life changes.
Types of One-on-One Therapy
Several types of one-on-one therapy have proven successful with teens. Two of the most common types include cognitive-behavioral therapy and motivational interviewing.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) uses communication to help the teen make healthy, positive changes in their life. It does so by having the teen replace destructive thought patterns. Noted benefits of CBT include overcoming substance abuse, building self-esteem, and making good decisions.
Next, motivational interviewing is especially beneficial to teens because the decision-making part of their brain is still developing. Often, this therapy is used because it allows the teen to feel like they are working with their therapist to solve their problems. This therapy works best with encouragement and positive reinforcement.
Talk Therapy for Healing
Talk therapy is also known as psychotherapy. This treatment is an effective way to help teens with a wide variety of mental health disorders and emotional difficulties. Studies show that 75% of people that use talk therapy experience symptom relief. One of the benefits of talk therapy is that it can help eliminate or control symptoms that make it difficult for a teen to function. Additionally, talk therapy can increase well-being and healing.
Talk therapy is used to address many problems, including:
- Difficulties coping with daily life
- Medical illness or loss
- Specific mental disorders
Talk therapy can be used in conjunction with other therapy and treatments and is typically used in short-term situations to resolve immediate issues. Additionally, talk therapy is used for dealing with complex issues and may be used in the long term.
Explore One-on-One Therapy for Teen Recovery at Venture Academy
If you think your teen would benefit from one-on-one therapy, call Venture Academy at 866.762.2211 or use our online form. There is no need to wait to get your teen the help and healing needed to live a happy and healthy life. Reach out to our Venture Academy team today.