Ashlan is leaving Venture Academy for troubled teens with a future that looks brighter than the bleak one she was heading towards.
Today, just a few months from graduating high school, she is a sober 17-year-old who is excited about reconnecting with her family, finishing high school, and studying nursing in Montreal.
“Before I came here I just hated myself. I was smoking pot every day, all day, fighting with my parents and doing stupid things like stealing,” Ashlan remembers. “I wanted to change but I couldn’t do it with the people I was hanging out with.”
Ashlan’s parents wanted her to change too. They sat her down, told her about Venture Academy for troubled teens, and asked if she’d like to go.
“We had our last fight and my mom gave me this opportunity to go to Venture. She gave me the choice so I said sure I’ll go.”
At first Ashlan hated her parents for suggesting she go, but as the drugs cleared her system she realized how lucky she was to have parents who cared enough to reach out for the help she so desperately needed.
“After the first month you just crazy miss them (your parents). You miss everything about them and you don’t even care about all the fights you’ve had,” she says. “Venture Academy takes you out of your environment and shows you that the ones who really care are your parents.”
Ashlan has accomplished many firsts while at Venture Academy – from zip lining for the first time to swimming in an Olympic-sized pool – however the most important had to do with her education, including passing math after many failed attempts.
“I took math10 three times and failed three times back home but when I took it here I got a lot of help and now I’ve finished the course and just have to take an exam,” she said. “I think Venture Academy is a really good thing.”
Read Additional Articles
- Family meals provide calm during stormy teen years
- Host Families Key to Venture Academy’s Success
- Legal But Lethal – Cough Medicine Abuse in Teens
- Help for Troubled Teens Just a Phone Call Away
- Education Key to Preventing Teen Inhalant Abuse
- Challenging the Challenged – ADHD in Teens
- How Troubled is Your Troubled Teen? Take the Test and Find Out
- Troubled Teen Director to Oversee Venture Academy’s Ontario Campus
- Troubled Teens Need Help Parents Can’t Provide
- Schools’ Overzealous In Use of Discipline to “Treat” Troubled Teens
- Family Service Specialist Joins Team at Venture Academy for Troubled Teens
- Boot Camps for Teens – Are they right for your teen?
- Sleep Takes Backseat to Teen Media Use, Study Finds
- Teen relationships affected by screen time
- Teen Drinking Never Safe
- Sexting Teens Put Their Futures At Risk
- Teen Boot Camps Soon to be Extinct
- Future looks bright for troubled teen
- Cyberbullying Teens Harass the Helpless
- Treating Troubled Teens: When holding back means sending your teen to residential treatment
- Defiant teen get life back on track with help from Venture Academy
- Top 5 Reasons to Say “Yes” to Venture Academy For Troubled Teens and “No” to Boot Camp
- Spying on Your Teen in the Text Generation
- Rebellious teen and her mom reconnect with help from Venture Academy
- Residential Treatment Program for Troubled Teens Expands Into Ontario