When you notice bothersome changes in your teen, it can be confusing and overwhelming for many parents. It’s only natural to want to protect and help your teenager. However, many families do not know where to begin in seeking appropriate help. What are the signs of a teen behaviour issue and what should you look for in troubled youths programs?
Signs of a Problem with Your Teen
You probably know your child better than anyone else, so it can be shocking when their behaviour undergoes drastic changes. While the reasons for these issues can be extremely varied, the following signs of a problem should always prompt further investigation:
- Severe Mood Swings or Personality Changes: Mood swings can be normal for teens as they undergo hormonal changes. However, drastic mood swings or severe changes in their personality may indicate an underlying problem. Be aware of personality changes such as anger, resentment, or extreme emotional outbursts.
- Withdrawal From Family and Hobbies: Teens tend to be very social individuals and prefer hanging out in groups with their peers. They also generally have at least a few activities or hobbies that they are passionate about. Withdrawal from friends or beloved hobbies could indicate a deeper issue at play.
- Physical Changes in Appearance: Extreme weight loss, bloodshot eyes, or other physical changes can also indicate serious underlying problems. All major changes in appearance, no matter how insignificant you may think they are, should be looked into further.
Also, it’s important to remember that adolescence is a time of both physical, emotional, and mental changes. It’s important to not press teens too much as they grow while still staying engaged with their development. Perhaps one of the best ways to help a troubled teen is by looking at the adult and parental relationships they have. Often, parents and adults attempt to control how a teen develops or they have misguided expectations. Taking a personal inventory about how you, as an adult, are treating a teen and examining if your expectations and demands on them are fair is key.
What to Look for in Troubled Youths Programs
There seems to be no shortage of troubled youths programs across the country. How can you be sure you’re choosing the right one for your family? Consider the following objectives to look for in quality troubled youths programs.
- Family Involvement: Program objectives of quality treatment centers recognize the simple fact that once the teen leaves the rehab setting, his family will be there for him. As a result, they’ll need the proper tools to provide the necessary support.
- Peaceful Setting: A serene environment promotes understanding, self-reflection, and healing. Program objectives providing quality treatment modalities will ensure that the environment they provide is conducive toward healing.
- Personalised Care: No two people develop problems for the same reason. As a result, no two people respond the exact same way to various therapies. The program objectives supported by quality treatment centers will ensure that each individual receives an individualized treatment plan that is best suited to his specific needs.
Why is Seeking Professional Help Vital?
There should be no shame associated with seeking professional treatment. Many people facing behaviour issues or substance abuse problems require professional substance abuse treatment to get to the bottom of the problem.
About Venture Academy
Venture Academy is a residential treatment center with several locations throughout Canada. Whether your teen is experiencing behaviour, academic, social, or substance abuse issues, we are here to provide support.
If your teen is exhibiting strange behaviour, you don’t have to face these issues alone. Your teen can overcome any problems with the help of proper therapeutic intervention. Contact Venture Academy today at 855.281.5813 to find out how we can help you start on the road to happiness.