May is Mental Health Awareness Month, which is the perfect time to explore and expand your knowledge of mental health treatment options. If you or a loved one is suffering from mental health concerns, it can be hard to determine what coping skills will be needed for successful individualised care. This is especially true because mental health symptoms can affect each person differently. If you seek more information regarding effective mental health care for your teen, speak with the professionals at Venture Academy. The best way to avoid serious repercussions such as disconnection from your loved one or unexpected legal troubles is to seek the best care possible now.
Discussions That Support Mental Health Treatment
If you are seeking a deeper understanding of your teen’s mental health concerns, some ways to show support or garner awareness can help to expand the dialogue and strengthen communication between you and your teen. Here are some steps that may better your understanding of your loved one’s mental health concerns:
- Discuss feelings with the people around you and listen constructively. If you know a loved one is struggling with mental illness, it is helpful to check in regularly. This shows that you care about their experience, and it can make all the difference.
- If you are on social media, consider sharing mental health screening sites near you via your social media channels. Many people may not realise they are suffering until they experience an extreme psychiatric emergency. Ensuring your loved ones receive the information they need early can help them navigate the coping mechanisms they need to support them.
- Educate yourself on the signs and symptoms of common mental health issues. This helps you understand what others are experiencing, notice the symptoms when you encounter them, and dispel myths that may empower those struggling around you.
- Be an advocate for those who suffer silently. Use the tools of your expanded knowledge to help others speak up for themselves.
- Help everyone join the conversation even if they don’t understand how to. Speaking with children about mental health can help them develop empathy early on, and this can help them notice the symptoms that sometimes appear later in life for them or their loved ones in the community. Taking the stigma out of these conversations strengthens everyone’s understanding.
However, mental health is not just a conversation to be navigated. It is important to follow through when you know someone needs help. Venture Academy can be the lifeline you need for your loved ones who are struggling.
When Is Mental Health Treatment Necessary for Your Teen?
It can be difficult to know when to seek the right care for a teen, but often a good sign is when behavioural problems begin to develop. This can look different depending on your teen’s style of communication, but some signs to watch for include:
- Is your teen nowhere to be found during previously agreed-upon obligations?
- Is your teen having problems with understanding the scope of activity or relating to people around them?
- Have your loved one’s eating habits changed drastically?
- Extreme mood shifts, hostility, an increase of anxiety, or exhaustion
- Detachment from reality such as delusions or hallucinations
Some of these examples may seem more extreme than others, but if a person is not treated and taught how to cope with their symptoms, they can greatly worsen over time. Venture Academy’s teen mental health treatment can help your loved one process the personality changes that accompany mental illness complications.
Support Mental Health Awareness Month with Venture Academy
If your teen is experiencing issues navigating their mental health concerns, help them make health-informed decisions with Venture Academy’s 30-day assessment and intervention program, as well as behaviour treatment. These programs offer your teen the support and learning tools that will help them to grow with positive results. If you are still feeling unsure, consider taking our interactive child behaviour test 866.762.2211. It only takes about five minutes of your time and may assist you in taking the appropriate steps toward a healthful life adjustment.